Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Travel Tuesdays: Charleston, SC

I'm dying to visit...Charleston, SC. My parents have been to Charleston, and so have a few friends of mine and I've always heard great things. One of the blogs I like to read daily is Everyday Musings. Olivia lives in Charleston and always posts the most beautiful and inspirational photos from her daily life there. Not only does she post pictures of the scenery from around the area, she also shows off the amazing food that seems to be abundant in the little town. Definitely check out her blog, it's great and she really seems to capture the heart of Charleston. I've been talking to my mom about taking a family trip there this summer for a few days, and I think it's going to happen! I'm very excited, and I'm going to start keeping a list of things I don't want to miss while I'm there. Here are 5 things I definitely want to experience when I go -

1. Fuel Caribbean Cantina - Olivia always posts delicious pictures of her brunches and lunches at Fuel. Everything looks amazing and I would love to give it a try. It also doesn't hurt that they have a huge, lit up patio that looks like the perfect location for a few drinks along with fish tacos or a signature-house burger with sweet potato fries. Yum!


Source: Everyday Musings
2. King Street Shopping District - Antiques, restaurants, boutiques along the palm-tree lined street. Sounds glorious. Who doesn't love an afternoon strolling in an outside shopping district on a beautiful day? I would love to be there...right at this moment.


Source: King Street
3. Rainbow Row - This is a historical area of Charleston that was originally a center for merchants in the 1700's. They would have shops downstairs and live upstairs in the row houses. Overtime this area became neglected, but in 1931 Dorothy Legge began renovation on the home she bought, and painted it pink with a "Caribbean" color scheme in mind. Others followed suit and the renovation of this area was complete with a beautiful, new color palette.

Source: Everyday Musings


4. Cupcake Bakery and Sugar Bakeshop - Both of these look delicious, and I have seen several shout-outs on various blogs about how wonderful these little sweet spots are. Cupcake has a list of over 45 flavors to choose from. The PB/Marshmellow Fluff one sounds divine. Sugar Bakeshop has other sweet treats besides cupcakes, but the "Lady Baltimore Cupcake" is their specialty. Theyalso have a little garden attached to their shop where you can sit to have tea and enjoy your dessert. Sounds like a perfect afternoon treat!

Cupcake
Source: Deidre Zahl 

Source: Deidre Zahl 
5. Folly Beach - Folly Beach is a historical beach about 15 minutes outside of Charleston. It's home to a charming old lighthouse called the Morris Island Lighthouse, endangered birds, gourment seafood, and civil war history. They call it one of the last "old-timey and shabby" beaches in the area that's full of Southern charm.




Hopefully I will be updating in a few months about my actual visit to this beautiful, historical, Southern town.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

I'll go with you! Let's take a road trip this summer. I want to go so bad!

February 25, 2011 at 6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home