Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Classic Silhouette

Since last Fall I have been working in the event planning industry, along with my day-job. I started as an intern with Merriment Events while I was in college, and have now continued working with Courtney as an event assistant when she needs my help in Richmond. Since living in Alexandria, I have applied for a weekend internship with another wedding planner up here, and I will be working on events throughout the summer and into December with RitzyBee, along with working a few weddings in Richmond for Merriment} Working weekends, along with my 9-5 weekday job, will make for a busy few months coming up, but I am looking forward to continuing my work in the wedding planning field, which is where I would ultimately like my career to be someday. I read quite a few wedding blogs and I get so much inspiration from the beautiful photographs and ideas that brides have to make their wedding unique and creative. Here is a trend that I'm currently loving...

Silhouettes were highly popular in America from about 1790 to 1840. This traditional form of portraits was created by cutting thin black cardboard in the profile shape of a person's facial profile and mounting it on a white or neutral background. The invention of the camera ended the reign of silhouettes as the main form or portraiture.

Today, classic silhouettes are making a comeback. I think it's a beautiful way to capture the essence of a couple, and an alternative to using a traditional monogram as the theme throughout the wedding details. Here are some of my favorite images that showcase silhouettes...

Cornhole boards for lawn games at a backyard wedding
{Source: Katie Stoops Photography via Merriment Events}

{Source: Martha Stewart Weddings}

{Source: Ashley Brockinton Photography via The Bride's Cafe}

{Source: Love Me Do Photography via Ruffled Blog}

{Source: My Sweet & Saucy}

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home